Click here for a detailed summary of cross-border (Canada/USA) customs requirements.
Taylor Moving does more cross-border moves than anyone in Southern Ontario. Taylor Moving and Storage is one of the largest Van Line agents in Canada specializing in cross-border moves. Close to 40% of our revenue is derived through cross-border moves.
At a time where other companies are leaving this service line due to currency changes, we continue to grow our cross border service. No other company has as many units dedicated to cross border moving as Taylor Moving and Storage.
As the rules and regulations change for cross border moves, we thought it would be a good time to review these with you.
Moving from Canada to the United States
- Taylor will provide form 3299 that must be completed and returned prior to load date. For US returning personnel, we will require a scanned colour copy of the US passports for each family member. As well, we will require each family member’s Social Security numbers.
- For Canadian citizens, we will require a scanned colour copy of their Canadian passports with activated work visas. We cannot clear customs without an activated work visa being obtained prior to load date.
- For all cross border moves, it is now a requirement that all companies be ACE certified. Using this software, US customs must be notified of a cross border move 24 hours in advance of arriving at the border. Taylor completes this on your behalf.
- Cars: It is strongly suggested that all cars are shipped using our specialized 3rd party car carrier.
- Before a car is shipped we will ask you to provide us a copy of the ownership. You will then need to obtain, a copy of the letter of compliance from the manufacturer. If the car meets US DOT and EPA standards, we will then be able to arrange shipping.
- Upon arriving at the border, our 3rd party carrier will obtain form 7501 which is issued by US Customs. It is imperative that this 7501 form is obtained as this document allows you to register and plate the car in the USA.
- For Americans who purchased a car in Canada, you may be liable for state sales taxes upon registration.
- Alcohol – all bottles must be inventoried separately and may be subject to state sales taxes.
Moving from the United States to Canada
- Upon arrival in Canada (either by plane or by auto) you must obtain a B15 or B4E form from Canada customs. You will need to bring a copy of our inventory list with you to obtain this.
- There has been a major change in customs clearance. Effective immediately, the transferee and our van foreman must book an appointment with Canada Customs at least 24 hours in advance of clearance.
- You will need to bring forms B15 or B4E, your passport, a copy of our inventory and their activated work visa with you to our inland customs office.
- Cars: If the car is leased or has a lien against it, customs will insist on a notarized letter of permission from the lien holder, on the lien holder's letter head giving you permission to take the vehicle across the border. We will also need a notarized copy of the title. For all cars, customs will request the original ownership/title which must be in customs possession 72 business hours in advance of the cars arrival. For Canadians who purchased a car in the USA, both federal and provincial sales taxes will be applicable.
- Firearms: It is strongly suggested that firearms are not moved with the household goods. Canadian gun laws are very strict and customs clearance is dependent on the type and number of firearms being moved. Taylor deals with this on a case by case basis.
As you can see, there are a number of complexities involved with a cross-border move. Taylor Moving and Storage and our co-ordinators continue to be up to date on this process. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions on this or any other cross border move.
Most companies, including Taylor Moving and Storage, offer up a list of features that are standard industry practices. What sets us apart however, are the unique features we offer that no one else does.
With experience dating back to 1959 Taylor Moving and Storage knows just how important it is to make your employees relocation as smooth and easy as possible.
After over 40 years of service Taylor Moving, with mixed emotion, announces the retirement of Dave Wilson from our firm.
- Move to Belleville
- Move from Burlington
- June 2013
"The move went very well. The crew (Chris and Rodrigo) were terrific and were in and finished in an hour. The move into the…"
Copyright © 2007-2013 Taylor Moving and Storage. All rights reserved. | Sitemap | Accessibility Statement | Contact Us